American Academy of Medical Ethics
California Medical Association De-professionalizes Medicine, Puts Patients at Risk
The American Academy of Medical Ethics denounces the California Medical Association’s decision to take a “neutral stand” on the legalization of physician-assisted suicide in their state. Read our full news release by clicking here.
The mission of the American Academy of Medical Ethics is to promote the
interests of medical educators, medical practitioners and scientists,
and to protect and promote the historic values that have provided the
long-standing foundation for western medical care. The American Academy
of Medical Ethics foresees the standard of medical care in North America
being once again defined by the Hippocratic tradition.
Our Board of Reference
We foresee the standard of medical care in North America being once again defined by the Hippocratic tradition.
We subscribe to the traditional values of the Hippocratic Oath which include:
- The practice of medicine involves covenants with Deity, patients, students, teachers and colleagues
- Physicians must be trustworthy
- Physicians must always seek their patients' best interests
- Physicians must not exploit patients or their caregivers
- Physicians must practice within their capabilities
- Physicians must practice the standard of care
- Physicians must respect all human life and must not intentionally take life (i.e. must not take the life of the unborn, must not perform euthanasia, must not provide assistance for suicide)
- Physicians must maintain confidentiality
- Physicians must seek justice, avoid injustice and discrimination
- Physicians must be accountable for their actions
What We Do
We serve patients, healthcare professionals and our culture by:
- Arranging and conducting educational conferences, speeches, interviews and research in the field of ethics, medicine and science
- Teaching traditional values through scholarly endeavors
- Networking healthcare professionals who share these values
Want to learn more about the dangers of physician-assisted suicide? Listen to this talk by Dr. David Stevens from his recent Montana speaking tour.
American Academy of Medical Ethics • P.O. Box 7500 • Bristol, TN 37621 • 423-844-1095 • ethicalhealthcare.org